It is a fact that the scientist who first discovered the electron was Nikola Tesla. As early as 1891, Tesla noticed tiny charged particles inside vacuum tubes during experiments, and throughout 1896 he noted down the details he found in numerous treatises on radiant energy. Initially, he called electrons "indivisible any further". Let's talk a little bit about Nikola Tesla's Views on the Electron and his relationship with JJ Thomson.
In 1891 Tesla discussed JJ Thomson in a scientific journal.' His findings were recognized at JJ Thomson for his discovery of the electron about his experiments with certain vacuum tubes, and he also won the Nobel Prize for this discovery.
In an article in the Journal of the Electrical Engineer titled "Electric Discharge in Vacuum Tubes" for July 1, 1891, Tesla claimed that his experiments showed that there was a molecular bombardment inside the tubes that caused these discharges. His apparatus emitted electrons at very high speeds that collided with rare gas molecules in the tubes.
Thomson rejected Tesla's claim to verify these particles until he witnessed his experiments and demonstrations in a lecture given by Tesla in 1892 before the Institute of Electrical Engineers in London. In other words, he had entered the stage of acceptance in a way. Thomson then adapted to Tesla's high frequency methods and was able to carry out the electron discovery. However, he still did not believe.
Up until the turn of the century, Tesla had given these particles a religious meaning, and he had a better understanding of it than most other scientists of his day. Tesla did not believe in the existence of the "electron" portrayed by today's popular science, but believed, through practical reasoning and experimentation, that if it could exist, it could only exist in a perfect vacuum.
Tesla's 5 Reviews on the Electron – Nikola Tesla's Views on the Electron
1. “Science conceives the electron as a hollow sphere, a kind of bubble, to explain its seemingly small mass. Now a bubble can exist in a medium like gas or liquid because its internal pressure will not change with deformation. However, if, as is assumed, the internal pressure of an electron is due to the repulsion of electric masses, any conceivable deformation would result in the bubble being destroyed.
“To mention another possibility, the force tending to shatter an electron is represented, in pounds per square inch, by the staggering number of 256.899 followed by twenty-one zeros – and that's 513.798.000.000.000.000.000 times the tension that tungsten wire can do. to resist! And yet it does not explode! Even if thrown into an obstacle hundreds of thousands of times faster than the speed of a bullet!”
Source: “A Famous Science Prophet Looks Towards The Future.” Popular Science Monthly, November 1928.
2. “However, it was not until 1896 that I succeeded in obtaining positive empirical evidence of the existence of such an environment. But that year I took out a new form of vacuum tube that could be charged to any desired potential and operated it with effective pressures of about 4.000.000 volts. I have produced cathodic and other rays that exceed the intensity. In my view, the effects were due to very small particles of matter carrying enormous electrical charges, which I have identified as more inseparable, for which I could not come up with a better name. Later, these particles were called electrons.
Source: “Nikola Tesla Tells of New Radio Theories.” New York Herald Tribune, September 22, 1929.
3. “The idea that the atom consists of electrons and protons orbiting each other like a miniature sun and planets is an invention of the imagination and has nothing to do with the true nature of matter.
“Almost all progress has been made by physicists, explorers, and inventors; in short, devotees of the science that Newton and the scientists who believed in him asserted and are advancing.
“Personally, it was only efforts in this direction that took care of my energy. Similar comments can be made for other developments in modern thought. Take the electron theory, for example. Perhaps no one else has given rise to so many false thoughts and illusory hopes. Everyone talks about electrons as something completely certain and real. Yet the truth is that no one has isolated it and no one has measured its load. Besides, no one really knows what it is. “To explain the observed phenomena, atomic structures were imagined, none of which could possibly exist.
Source: “Great Scientific Discovery Impends.” The Sunday Star, Washington DC, May 17, 1931.
4. “My ideas about the electron contradict what is generally accepted. I think it's not a basic unit but a relatively large object bearing surface charge. When such an electron is separated from an electrode with an extremely high potential and a very high vacuum, it carries an electrostatic charge many times greater than normal. This may surprise some who think that the particle has the same charge in air both inside and outside the tube. A beautiful and instructive experiment has been devised by me to show that this is not the case, because as soon as the particle enters the atmosphere, it becomes a burning star due to escaping excess charge. The large amount of electricity stored in the particle is responsible for the difficulties encountered in the operation of certain tubes and their rapid deterioration.”
Source: “Dynamic Theory Of Gravity.” July 10, 1937 (before press interviews about 81st birthday celebration).
5. “Before the development of the electron theory, I had established that radioactive rays are composed of particles of primary matter that cannot be further separated, and the first thing I had to find out was whether the sun was charged at a high enough potential to produce the indicated effects. This required a long investigation, which resulted in me discovering that the sun's potential is 216.000.000.000.000 volts, and that all such large and hot bodies emit cosmic rays.
“While the origin and character of rays observed near the Earth's surface have thus been sufficiently well established, so-called cosmic rays observed at great altitudes have for more than twenty-six years represented a puzzle; height at a rapid rate.
My research has uncovered the surprising fact that high-altitude effects are of a completely different nature, having nothing to do with cosmic rays. These are particles from celestial bodies at very high temperatures and are charged to enormous electric potentials.
“The effects at great heights are due to waves of extremely small length produced by the sun in a particular region of the atmosphere. THIS IS THE DISCOVERY I WANT TO KNOW. The process involved in the formation of waves is as follows: The sun reflects charged particles that create an electric current that passes through the conductive layer of the atmosphere, about ten kilometers (six miles) thick, that surrounds the earth.
This is a conduction of electrical energy, exactly as I demonstrated in my experimental lecture, where one end of a wire is connected to a high potential electrical generator and the other end is free. In this case, the generator is represented by the sun and the wire by the conductive air.”
“The passage of solar current involves the transfer of electrical charges from particle to particle at the speed of light, resulting in the production of extremely short and penetrating waves. Since the aforementioned layer of air is the source of waves, it follows that the so-called cosmic rays observed at great altitudes must increase as we approach this layer.”
Source: “In The Realm Of Science: Tesla, Who Predicted Radio, Now Looks Forward To Sending Waves To The Moon.” New York Herald Tribune, Aug. 22, 1937
Günceleme: 28/08/2021 20:53
Be the first to comment