European Chemicals Agency (ECHA/AKA) Seeks Opinion to Add 8 Substances of Very Concern to the REACH Candidate List. The European Chemicals Agency (ECHA/AKA) is seeking advice to add 8 SVHCs, ie substances of high concern, to the REACH Candidate List.
Opinions can be submitted until 23 April regarding the inclusion of the said substances in the Candidate List. Some of the substances in question and their known uses are as follows:
• Octamethylcyclotetrasiloxane (D4) (EC 209-136-7) – in cleaning products, cosmetics and personal care products, varnishes and wax-like products;
• Decamethylcyclopentasiloxane (D5) (EC 208-764-9) – in cleaning products, cosmetics and personal care products, varnishes and wax-like products, and textile processing chemicals and dyes.
• Dodecamethylcyclohexasiloxane (D6) (EC 208-762-8) – in cleaning products, cosmetics and personal care products, varnishes and wax-like products;
• Ethylenediamine (EC 203-468-6) – adhesives and sealants, coating products, fillers, putties, plasters, modeling clays and pH regulators and water treatment products;
• Terphenyl hydrogenated (EC 262-967-7) – In plastic additives, solvents, coatings and inks, adhesives and sealants;
• Lead(EC 231-100-4) – metals, welding and brazing products, metal surface treatment products, polymers and heat transfer fluids;
• Disodium octaborate (EC 234-541-0) – in antifreeze products, heat transfer fluids, lubricants and greases, and cleaning products;
• Benzo[ghi]perylene (EC 205-883-8) – no REACH registration; It is usually produced involuntarily and appears as a component or impurity.
Source : IMMIB